Saturday, July 23, 2011

I’m gonna be a Ninja.


        One of the things keeping my from updating this blog the past few weeks is a new addition to my daily routine: kung fu/tai chi lessons!!  Interestingly enough, kung fu and tai chi are Chinese martial arts, not Korean.  Korea’s national sport is tae kwon do and black belts are not a big deal here because so many people have them.  
Before coming to Korea I wasn’t really interested in learning any martial art except tai chi, because that was the only one that seemed really peaceful, edifying, and noncompetitive (I don’t think that’s actually true, but it seemed that way to me).  Then I came here and one of my co-workers was able to introduce me to a Korean kung fu expert who gives lessons and has a gym within walking distance of my apartment building!  
Thus, I started kung fu/tai chi.  I combine the two, because apparently they are based around the same foundational moves, which I am learning right now.  It’s all a little fuzzy to me because of the language barrier.  I have now learned the bow stance, horse stance, chicken stance, wild goose stance, and tiger stance.  They are all absolutely as awesome as they sound, though I'm afraid I butcher them terribly due to my lack of coordination and awful posture.  
At this point the main part of my lessons is stretching.  I can say the Korean word for “pain” now (stretching hurts!), but I get better every day!  My master is always really encouraging and tells me via google translate, “Great improvement, short time.”  Which I think says more to the fact that I started out with essentially no flexibility whatsoever than to any great skill on my part.  
Our google translate conversations are always a favorite part of my lessons.  My master’s (I honestly don’t know his name and refer to him as Master Shifu or Mister Miagi) main English phrases are “Training!”, “Many difficult?”, “Stretching!”, and “Until today.” which means the lesson is over.  When he realized that I was interested in learning some Korean and could also help him with English he wrote a long sentence into google translate that came out something like, “It hard Korea unless Korean American actor English I help and strive together.” Then he shook my hand, so I think we agreed to help each other with our respective languages.  
Besides the different stances and stretching I have also done a lot of kicking in my lessons.  I am expected to stretch my hand out in front of me or to the side and then kick my palm with the sole of my foot without my leg bending.  Try it.  It’s annoyingly hard, at least for me.  Thankfully I will most likely be able to avoid situations where kung fu kicking is really a necessity... Unless, that is, I develop a super hero alter ego! : DDDD
(Yes, Kimi you will be my Alfred!)

1 comment:

  1. Just so you know, I just tried kicking the palm of my hand. i think i got a cramp.... It actually is as hard as you think it is. :-)

    ReplyDelete